Search This Blog

Wednesday 4 March 2009

SYD-AUK


What a different feeling! What a short flight - a mere two and a half hours - its like popping to the shops! The plane was an older design and even though the film was projected on a screen at the front of the cabin (no interactive LED super fun entertainment centre in your seat) it was a much more comfortable plane. There was room for my legs and the stewards were great. Genuine. Friendly.

As we were coming into land Mum said

"I think its rather fitting we should land in Aukland on Dad's anniversary.
"

"God! Is it - I forgot!"

"Its OK you don't have to . . ."

"I know but . . ."

Her hand flutters for a moment on my arm.

Five years ago today. Later that evening we toast Dad.

The taxi to the Skyhotel took us through wide open streets with aplm trees along the side and low wooden houses painted white and cream. kid on a skateboard freewheeled down the hill.

The kyhotel itself is an amazing structure, (the tallest in the southern hemisphere it turns out) one of those towers with a revolving restaurant and an observation deck from which (should you have lost reason) you can bunjee jump. 220 meters!

Aukland centre is gleaming and modern, and reminds me a little of a version of Hong Kong crossed with London. There's a lot of building going on too.


In the evening we went looking for a bit of an exploration. I was taking pictures as we went and Mum was looking in shop windows. She wanted to get a take away and bring it back to the hotel.

We found a restaurant and take-away and while it was being cooked we had a beer at the bar. That's when we drank to Dad. The manager / owner was very smiley and and he had the time to listen to Mums story of Margan leaving NZ.

We left to bows and smiles. Beautiful people.

We ate in my room, well I didn't eat much but just picked. We talked about tomorrow. Mum retired to bed.


I went across the road to a bar which had about 3 people in it and had a beer. Sitting at the window watching the world go by.

Me
Mum
and
The World

2 comments:

  1. Hi Roger and Liz. It is so fabulous to read your blog. I've just had the quickest peep and it reminds me of my trip, with Mum, to South Africa more than ten years ago. I guess you'll tread in very different footsteps, although many of the people will be the same. I raise my glass to you, near and far, and wish you the happiest trip ever! With love. Dena

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Rog and Liz - I hadn't realised about your Dad's anniversary either - 5 years - golly! Here's to Richard. Best love to you both. Cherry xx

    ReplyDelete