Search This Blog

Saturday 7 March 2009

Day 2 - Aukland

Mum and I head out of our hotel looking for breakfast on the streets of Aukland rather than the bland euro-brek the Hotel offers. We want to walk around and look at the place. Experience life outside the "any place everywhere"

We settle in a Caff and order "too safe away waffu" (2 savoury waffles) tea and Coffee. It's seems to be run by Polynesians and it's busy with people coming and goining. I like it.

Later we split up for a while and go and do our own thing - the plan is to meet at 3.00pm. I ook my camera and walked down along the harbour, I really wanted to see the boats and the bridgesd. There is something great about the bustle of boats. It's full yachts as they are gearing up for a major boat show. Masts and hulls snap and jostle together in the choppy water.

I waled to the end of a kind of pier thing and the wind was fantasdtic. It was really difficult to stand up, and it bufetted my strongly. I love this. I walk leaning into the deafening wind. It feels like an old friend slapping you on the back hard. Shoving me playfully in the chest, Throwing me off my equuilibbrium. Fabtastic.

I am alive in the wind. The wind flies me like a kite.

Then I waondered round town taking photos, and eventually went to the car hire place to sort out the car. I was surprised when they said they were expecting me a day ago. But it's no problem and I arrange to pick it up the next day for the drive to Rotorua.

Back at the hotel it turns out Mum has been down there too, she;s been to the maritime museum and she's really enjoyed thwe guided tour. She ended up talking a to a woman of a similar age who had come to see a friend but the friend was moving house or something. I imagnined them talking away

I think it's great that Mum has come to the other side of the worls and is doing her own thing.

Later

We are having agternoon tea. Mum mstarts speaking about Dad. Suddenly - her thoughts suddenly spoken

"The day before Dad dieid I went to see himm and he looked terrible. YTou see they don't treat the whole man, they have experts in the heart or the diabetes but no one looks after the whole person. He hated that. Anyway . . " she pauses for a moment . .

"anyway I suddenly saw this energy come out of him . . ."

"Where did it go?" I ask

"Into me!" for a moment I thought she might cry but she didn't.

That evening Mum and I had a drink in the "Bar3" and a chinese buffet dinner. Mum retired and I went round town looking for a bar. I found an "Irish Pub" where there was a man playng the piano and singing. He was a little off with his fingers and his lyrics, but the crowd whooped him on. It was quite a loud pub so I left and went back to my room and slept.

Me
Mum
And The World

No comments:

Post a Comment