Search This Blog

Wednesday 25 March 2009

The last post



So here we are at the end of the journey.

A final day in Christchurch, packing bags down to fit the requirements; trying to prepare for the long long long haul flight ahead. We are going to be traveling for close to 30 hours. The final flight being some 25 hours. I have had to ring Qantas to try and get a seat near the loo. I am dreading the imprisonment.

In the square a man ascends a ladder and starts a kind of monologue which ranges over the role of Men and Women throughout history, with some kind of quirky philosophy thrown in.

"You can either have a short happy life or long miserable life!" He declares with one hand raised. "Have a short happy life picking through the rubbish od Mombai, or long miserable life in a developed contry"

I particularly liked his slightly ecclesiastical costume; and I have to say if I had such a costume I would wear it when I'm teaching. In fact I liked his style. He semed slightly familiar to me.

So what will I do when I get home?

I'll tell you what I'll do.

I'm going to make a large lime jelly which is green and cold and quivers; and I'm going to eat it with cold red grapes and some plain yhogurt.

I'm going to get the mower out of the shed and I am going to mow the lawn, carfully, neatly, slowly.

I'm going to play the piano when the house is empty; I shall sing at the top of my voice.

I will fiddle around with the pond and maybe add a few more bedding plants round the edge; get the fountain going, watch the water drops make patterns on the surface of the pond. Maybe there will be a frog.

I will go to the gym and have a swim and long hot sweat in tha sauna; sweat out the dust of the journey.

Oh yes . . . I must make an appointment to see the doctor as well.
Here's an old old lyric for you - one of my favourites ever since I was a teenager:

"I carry the dust of a journey
That cannot be shaken away,
Yet it lives deep within me,
For I breathed it in everyday"


(Emerson Lake and Palmer - Pictures at an exhibition)


And so gentle reader, until we meet again - with love

Me
Mum
& the world

4 comments:

  1. Thank you Roger. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a safe trip back you two.
    Best love
    Cherry
    Kisses

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the photographs, and am so impressed by all the research you did, - I think you must have visited all the places and people we knew about. I wonder if you are home yet, and eating lime jelly and grapes. What an epic journey... cant wait to hear more when we next meet up.Thank you for this blog, it has been fascinating to read. Safe trip home. Nonie xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry, cant do blogs, this one wont go away. Thinking about you both anyway. Loved the picture of the old man...

    ReplyDelete