Search This Blog

Wednesday 25 February 2009

BA55 to JHB

We arrive at the baggage drop in Terminal 5, and feeling strangely lost, try to check our bags in . . . but there is a problem -Mum's got one bag too many, and will cost an extra 90 UKP to include it. We retreat to private corner and start to try and collapse the extra bag and contents into the right number of bags. We are tugging at zips and locks in an exctasy of fumbling when the nice lady at the check in comes over and says she can slide it through as containing essential medical items. Hurrah for the pharmacy!

T5, despite it's bad publicity on opening, is actually really spacous and efficient. It seemd that very soon we were on board, and I have to say feeling alot better about the whole prospect.

The entertainment system on the front of the seat was very advanced and Mum's fingers pecked in flurries at the menu. "Oh . . . I didn't meant that to happen"

The food arrives and I gingerly start to eat, remembering my motto "An empty bottle cannot spill" but damit I am hungry! And yes it comforts me too.

Mum starts to talk about Michael and Tessa, who are very old friineds, that are both slowly dying. She says it might be quite nice to die more or less together . . . I try to imagine how strange that would feel. Inevitably we talk about Dad, and how it is very hard to adjust to a solo life after such a long time. "I think your'e doing really well Mum"

Soon she is back on the in flight entertainment again, and flicking through countless menus. Her face concentrating on the little screen. Eventually, after a little help from each other, we are both hooked up to films of our choice.

There's a scrolling map we can track our progress with. We cross the eqautor over MBANDAKA and the scrolling map shows me that it lies on a river but the river isn't named. I try and imagine what is there 35000 feet below. Next I see there is a place called BANDUNDU and we are pointing towards JHB and the Kalahari desert.

I found a really lovely CD called "Beyond the Horizon" which was excellent world music presented by Charlie Gillet, I drowsed to its hypnotic beats. Then I discovered an album by Carla Bruni "Comme si de rien n'etait" and I was quite hypnotised by it. Finally the brilliant Rura And The April Fishes album "Extrodinary Rendition" which was just that.

So piece by peace I am letting it all subside, Turning of the static in my head, trying to recallibrate my compass and leave anxiety behind. Temporarily put aside the boxes of mental junk and leave them on the shores of Britain.

The jet is an incredible thing; it's like a needle that pulls us like a thread through the fabric of time and experience for us to emerge on the other side of the world. How strange.

Mum tells me how her G G Grandfather went to NZ in 18 whatever it was. Angry and in a rage. It took him 6 weeks on a boat. There was a woman called Polly who was to join him there. Alas he must fallen for someone else or gone off the idea, because he sent a tellegram back to his sister in England

"STOP POLLY STOP"

We zoom through the dark at 600 MPH

Chookie is waiting for us at the arrival gate, amoungst a lot of drivers and reps silently holding up the names of the people they are to meet. "It seems a very silent protest they'e golding there . . . what do you think they are angry about?" Says Mum as she pulls her bag past them.


And now quite suddenly it is quiet. I am here in this amazing and lovely house, the sun is shining on the imaculate garden, and I can hear Peter in his khaki uniform hoovering in a distant room.
Mum's asleep. Chookie has gone shopping

I have survived the flight.

Me
Mum
&
The World

2 comments: